• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

To be fair we were playing a back four 90% of the time when we signed Sarabia.

Albeit a back four that frequently had a glorified CH at LB and with at least two CMs doing loads of defensive work in their own half.

Dewsbury-Hall would fall into the same excitement bracket as Brownhill for me. Not annoyed at the idea but does it tangibly improve us? I'd bet not.

We won't find a role for him, KDH or really ever Sarabia with 3 at the back. Not sure why we have bought two of them let alone all 3
I’d say Sarabia is pretty much playing in his position at the moment

We won't find a role for him, KDH or really ever Sarabia with 3 at the back. Not sure why we have bought two of them let alone all 3
I think we could. Palace, Atalanta and Leverkusen show how 3-4-3 should work, not this hybrid shite we've endured with very little defensive success this season.

GoN would do well to adopt this as I don't think it would take much to do it properly and Sarabia as one of the 10's would fit lovely.

I'd swap Glasner for GoN in a heartbeat.

On a broader theme I really think we have to move on from three CHs, it's a comfort blanket that multiple managers keep clinging to here, it's not 2017, you're not Nuno, stop it. All it does is amplify the crappy myth that we can only play 3-4-3/3-5-2 even though we own hardly any players from when we started playing it. As a system for years it has made us extremely stodgy whenever we're expected to carry the initiative and it needs to stop.

Of course for that to happen you have to get rid of Captain Wow who defends like a Stearman/Johnson hybrid if he doesn't have both hands held, and I have little faith we will. We already had the chance to and didn't take it.

On a broader theme I really think we have to move on from three CHs, it's a comfort blanket that multiple managers keep clinging to here, it's not 2017, you're not Nuno, stop it. All it does is amplify the crappy myth that we can only play 3-4-3/3-5-2 even though we own hardly any players from when we started playing it. As a system for years it has made us extremely stodgy whenever we're expected to carry the initiative and it needs to stop.

Of course for that to happen you have to get rid of Captain Wow who defends like a Stearman/Johnson hybrid if he doesn't have both hands held, and I have little faith we will. We already had the chance to and didn't take it.
Passive Max is definitely an issue. I hope Mosquera is the pacey answer at RCB and Santi B can organise properly or we have to buy a new CB who can and put them in the middle but I think 3-4-3 could work with the rest of the squad, especially if we buy a 9.

Sell Kilman and buy a CB and STR, seems straightforward doesn't it?

Last edited:
United sometimes get linked but they get linked with hundreds of players. West Ham have too but you'd think Lopetegui knows exactly what he is. Unless he was the one saying "don't take £30m"!

He's been a PL regular for us for three years now. I still don't think I'd have him in my top 10 Wolves CHs and I don't go far back enough to remember the 70s and early 80s, let alone before that.

I think Berra was a better pure defender. Bobbins on the ball, obviously, and VAR would murder him.

3 centre halves (if you want to pigeon hole Toti as one, I think he's better than that personally) is fine as long as it's coached well. It doesn't have to be stodgy or restrict attacking progress, as O'Neil and others who play in a similar shape have proven. The way we play currently it means we get more bodies into forward areas than we would if we built with a more rigid back 4.

The biggest issues for us come from the way we defend with the ball, we often push 1 central midfielder into the forward line, the left sided WB central and the right sided WB high on the touchline. When we lose the ball there are spaces absolutely everywhere and apart from Toti and Semedo (as previously stated often pushed too high to affect anything at this stage) none of our defensive personnel are particularly strong when they've been turned. The first Newcastle (A) goal is a perfect example of this.

There's also that moment in transition where Toti is caught between LB & LCH. West Ham absolutely hammered us with that one. Poor guy was twisted up all game and came away from it looking dreadful but it was through no fault of his own really, he was let down by the system that day.

When we defend deep we actually do it very well, the extra 'centre half' playing as a LB is a huge advantage and with the pace we have on the break when Cunha/Hwang/Neto are available it keeps most teams honest. The only real issues we've had with it have been the extra defensive responsibilities placed on whoever is playing the right sided attacking role. Bellegarde really struggled with it earlier in the season and there's been a number of occasions where the RW has switched off from a throw in on that side and allowed a chance (The Man United & Coventry winners being the most costly).

A lot of Kilman, Dawson & Bueno's worst moments this season have come as a result of these weaknesses IMO. They've looked worse than they are at times (they're still not good enough individually). They've had to do a lot of 'panic' defending where a mistake they've made may have been the direct result of a goal but the root cause is the flaw in the shape which has put them in a disadvantageous position.

O'Neil has always talked like he'd like to be more tactically flexible than he's been allowed to be this season so with a hopefully more balanced squad (don't fuck this summer up Fosun) I don't think we'll see the 3-4-3/4-4-2 hybrid as much next season but we'd be foolish to ditch it altogether. It just needs to be coached better and hopefully with a full pre season O'Neil can get more of his ideas across.

Oh, and if you don't like 3 'centre halves' wait until we line up with 4 next season.

Mosquera - Kilman - Dawson - Toti

It's coming. What was it our idiot Twitter fans used to call Nuno? Portuguese Pulis?

As "mutant" back fours go, I suppose I've seen worse?

As "mutant" back fours go, I suppose I've seen worse?
It'd work in certain situations (although I don't know enough about Mosquera to say that he'd be suitable in any position really). It'd certainly stop us looking so lopsided, we'd improve at set pieces and in aerial battles.

Nothing O'Neil has done so far is particularly innovative but he does seem to have his finger on the pulse. What Pep does many seem to follow and he's moved away from the traditional full back profile to deal with dangerous wingers/inside forwards like Saka & Salah so I wouldn't be surprised to see other Premier League managers do the same.

If you divide the season in 2 and forget the post xmas performances of Leicester then yes their points stats were excellent as were Ipswich. Post Xmas and it’s Albion 07/08 promotion stuff at best.
Points total is lower than Burnley, Ourselves and level with Norwich a few years ago.
McGuire work at Ipswich is more impressive due to squad and resources.
Maresca fits the glamour picture better Mediterranean name and origin so obviously far more pioneering.
For reference the two highest points totals achieved at this level belong to two English managers Coppell 107pts with Reading and Peter Reid with Sunderland with 103pts all prior to 2010.
From an aesthetics point of view they’ve been alright but nothing wow that makes you sit up and take notice.

3 centre halves (if you want to pigeon hole Toti as one, I think he's better than that personally) is fine as long as it's coached well. It doesn't have to be stodgy or restrict attacking progress, as O'Neil and others who play in a similar shape have proven. The way we play currently it means we get more bodies into forward areas than we would if we built with a more rigid back 4.

The biggest issues for us come from the way we defend with the ball, we often push 1 central midfielder into the forward line, the left sided WB central and the right sided WB high on the touchline. When we lose the ball there are spaces absolutely everywhere and apart from Toti and Semedo (as previously stated often pushed too high to affect anything at this stage) none of our defensive personnel are particularly strong when they've been turned. The first Newcastle (A) goal is a perfect example of this.

There's also that moment in transition where Toti is caught between LB & LCH. West Ham absolutely hammered us with that one. Poor guy was twisted up all game and came away from it looking dreadful but it was through no fault of his own really, he was let down by the system that day.

When we defend deep we actually do it very well, the extra 'centre half' playing as a LB is a huge advantage and with the pace we have on the break when Cunha/Hwang/Neto are available it keeps most teams honest. The only real issues we've had with it have been the extra defensive responsibilities placed on whoever is playing the right sided attacking role. Bellegarde really struggled with it earlier in the season and there's been a number of occasions where the RW has switched off from a throw in on that side and allowed a chance (The Man United & Coventry winners being the most costly).

A lot of Kilman, Dawson & Bueno's worst moments this season have come as a result of these weaknesses IMO. They've looked worse than they are at times (they're still not good enough individually). They've had to do a lot of 'panic' defending where a mistake they've made may have been the direct result of a goal but the root cause is the flaw in the shape which has put them in a disadvantageous position.

O'Neil has always talked like he'd like to be more tactically flexible than he's been allowed to be this season so with a hopefully more balanced squad (don't fuck this summer up Fosun) I don't think we'll see the 3-4-3/4-4-2 hybrid as much next season but we'd be foolish to ditch it altogether. It just needs to be coached better and hopefully with a full pre season O'Neil can get more of his ideas across.

Oh, and if you don't like 3 'centre halves' wait until we line up with 4 next season.

Mosquera - Kilman - Dawson - Toti

It's coming. What was it our idiot Twitter fans used to call Nuno? Portuguese Pulis?
The biggest problem with this hybrid shite is it doesn't work.

It'd work in certain situations (although I don't know enough about Mosquera to say that he'd be suitable in any position really). It'd certainly stop us looking so lopsided, we'd improve at set pieces and in aerial battles.

Nothing O'Neil has done so far is particularly innovative but he does seem to have his finger on the pulse. What Pep does many seem to follow and he's moved away from the traditional full back profile to deal with dangerous wingers/inside forwards like Saka & Salah so I wouldn't be surprised to see other Premier League managers do the same.
Get what you mean, hope you're wrong though. I got more than enough diet-City football from Charlotte last year; it just doesn't work consistently without a talent disparity.

No fullbacks drifting into midfield please (unless they are called Rayan). And good Christ, we certainly couldn't afford any of our CBs stepping into midfield just now.

Watched the documentary on Netflix about the Euro2021 final. Pretty grim watching, combination of poor organisation, post covid and mostly stag do fuck you culture.
Hindsight kick off should’ve been at 3pm and far more police in and around the stadium and further ticket cordons along Wembley way.
The attitude of the 2 young England fans summed it up. Especially the one from Shropshire basically using lockdown as an excuse to do what he wants when he wants, then moralising with those dished out racist abuse.
Climbing on top of buses pissed up isn’t normal behaviour either and not something to be proud of.
Definite stag do culture problem in England and the mob ruling.

I’ve avoided everything from that day since now I was at a conference that weekend in central London and left at 3pm that Sunday, even then the feeling around London was just feral and intimidating. Just a horrible day in every sense.
Experiences with England fans is that most don’t intend or want to fight but carry out behaviours that just asks for trouble.
Drinking until you’re completely incoherent, drug use, singing songs in loutish manner that offends the local population, damaging property by accident or by reckless behaviour ie climbing on bus stops or dancing on bar tables, casual racism and misogyny etc
Admittedly some do go for trouble but as do a lot of countries across Europe.
Bit like having an occupying army in your city that drain resources and abuse local culture eventually it’ll cause a backlash.

Back